20131224_143431The stockings aren’t yet hung by the chimney with care, but the potatoes are peeled and ready to be cooked and mashed tomorrow, the sugar cookies are baked, cupcakes iced, and my Aunt Phoebe’s baked German potato salad ready to pop in the oven on Boxing Day to accompany the bubble and squeak. (Aunt Phoebe, Simon’s family love that recipe–it’s called out on most festive occasions.)

(Apologies for the blurred Christmas tree photo–best I could do with my camera phone.)

There won’t be snow for Christmas, and right now we’re hoping there won’t be torrential rain and wind, which is what we’ve had for the last 24 hours–we were slightly afraid the house was going to blow away last night. The weather has calmed and there’s even a hint of sun outside, all ready for Santa Claus to make his way to homes across the country tonight.

I have the non-traditional sprained ankle for Christmas (what’s black and blue and won’t fit in a shoe? My foot! Ha ha ha!) and after this morning’s preparations I’m ready to put said foot up and sleep till morning. Even so, I’m grateful to be snug in my house with my little family while also missing my family at home. Wherever you are this Christmas Eve, I am sending wishes for comfort and joy, and the love of family and friends.

Merry Christmas
Tagged on:

6 thoughts on “Merry Christmas

• December 24, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Cheers from Washington state!

We just finished listening to a BBC re-broadcast of Festival of Lessons and Carols from Kings College ….and all is right with the world.

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and God Bless!

• December 25, 2013 at 8:43 am

Thank you! And same to you. We listen to that service every year, and once, when my husband was a student at Cambridge, long before me, he went to the live service–maybe I’ll get to do the same one day myself.

• December 24, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Ginny,

Surprised and tickled pink to see my name and recipe mentioned in your WordPress post. These little things that connect us are a treasure when we are so greatly separated by miles. Cindy and family in California will also be enjoying that recipe that I first prepared on a Christmas eve when she was a very little girl.

Warmest wishes for a warm, joyful Christmas

Aunt Phoebe

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM, expatrimummy

• December 25, 2013 at 8:41 am

We’re spreading the recipe far and wide, Aunt Phoebe! It’s so yummy! I love sharing that PA to CA to UK history with all of you.
      Merry Christmas!

• December 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Merry Christmas, Ginny to you and your family! I too have my Mom’s baked German potato salad ready to go in the oven and its a part of our celebration my boys won’t let me skip. Guess the connection of our taste bud “genes” is stronger than the miles between us!

• December 25, 2013 at 8:42 am

Merry Christmas to you and your boys, Cindy! That potato salad suits every one of my Pennsylvania taste bud genes…though the bacon we get here is not the same as the bacon back home. Oh well. :-)